Friday, April 11, 2014

A Eucharistic Poem

A Eucharistic Poem
A friend of mine wrote a Eucharistic poem that I really enjoy, and he gave me permission to post it here. It's beautiful, and I think it explains the theology of the Eucharist quite well. Enjoy:

ON THE HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS

"I AM and I am sacrifice,

Eternal Lamb of God."

Two natures hung upon the cross:

The broken Son of Man for men to sense,

The broken Son of God for sins, which does

Repair the rift that from eternity

Did tear us and enslave each man to time.

"This is My Body, broken for the sins of every man,

Who fearing Me and trembling does approach me with no stain

This is My Blood, the covenant, shed once for all to bathe

The saints, in robes of white, with palm boughs bowed before My throne

Who sing of My eternal glory."

Thus Christ, eternal, once in time for all His sheep did make

Eternal sacrifice, but for His sheep did give them shepherds;

Endowed with God's own power they can bridge the great divide;

Between eternity and time, each calls the Breath of God

To consecrate each species into God's entire Son.

The sacrifice upon the Altar is the Lamb of God,

While in our memory It is the Son of Man once slain.

For in His Body, glorified, the nails that pierced His flesh

And lance that pierced His side to give birth to His bride, the Church,

Still mark the Lamb, we see His sacrifice upon the cross

is part of His eternal Body.

We do not sacrifice again the Son of Man once slain,

But actually participate in that same sacrifice

On Calvary of our eternal King.

Credit: magic-and-spells.blogspot.com