Saturday, April 18, 2009

On Being Thankful

On Being Thankful
Dear Friends,

In spite of all that is wrong in our world, country, and personal lives today we have much to be thankful for today my reading friends.

Each of us is in our own world of struggle and pain or sorrow at this time for a plethora of reasons. I am not going to trivialize your struggles today with a posting on "don't worry, be happy." Instead, I thought I would give you a quote from one of the great ones, Paul Tripp.

As I was teaching a class on the Sovereignty of God the other night I quoted Paul Tripp from his great book, "Lost In the Middle" and thought that I would post it here for you to reflect on this Thanksgiving Day, 2008. My prayer for you is that you take these words to heart today and with a grateful heart rejoice in all you have in Christ.

Blessings to you.

From the book "Lost In the Middle" by Paul David Tripp, (p195)

"All the things that are really worth living for, no one can take away from you. They are locked safely away in God's celestial vault. No one can take God's love away from you. No one can steal His forgiveness. No one can take His Holy Spirit from within you. No one can rob you of His strength or wisdom. No one can take away your justification or adoption. No one can pilfer your deliverance from the presence and power of sin. The real riches of life that you and I could never earn, which are only obtained as a gift, are never at risk.

"They can take your job. They can take your house. They can damage your health. They can reject, oppress, and abuse you. They can rob your possessions and empty your bank account. They can rob you of friends and family. But the most essential and wonderful things in all of life are unassailable. No one can touch them. They are guaranteed...

"No matter what you are going through now, it is vital to remember that God harnessed the forces of nature, controlled the events of human history and sent and sacrificed His one and only Son in order to give you a new birth. No matter how hard the difficulties of the present seem, you need to say to yourself, "This is not it for me, because I have a rich and eternal future that has been locked away and guaranteed. Whatever is at stake at this moment cannot rob me of the new life and eternal hope that God has given me, and those are the only things that are really worth living for."

Reference: goddesses-and-gods.blogspot.com