Monday, February 9, 2015

Review Goddess Girls Athena The Brain And Persephone The Phony By Joan Holub And Suzanne Williams

Publisher: Aladdin

Format: Paperback

Released: April 6th, 2010

Grade rating: B

Amazon summary:


Athena has always been above average. She's never quite fit in at Triton Junior High, but who would've guessed that Athena is actually a "goddess?" Principal Zeus's daughter, to be exact. When she's summoned to Mount Olympus Academy, Athena thinks she might actually fit in for the first time in her life. But in some ways, school on Mount Olympus is not that different from down on Earth, and Athena is going to have to deal with the baddest mean girl in history -- Medusa!

Review:


Goddess Girls is a really cute series for younger readers, and I'm guessing it's like Percy Jackson for tween girls. I've never read the Percy Jackson series though, so that's just a generlisation based on my knowledge from watching the movie.

Goddess Girls focuses on one Triton Junior High girl per book, and starts with Athena, daughter of Principal Zeus. Athena's quite quiet and shy, having just come from earth after learning she's the relative of a Greek God. She quickly makes friends with fellow students Persephone, Aphrodite and Artemis, and they form a bond that I think will last for life. I personally didn't love Athena, as I found her slightly irritating. Still, she was a good character to kick off the series with.

Things on Mount Olympus soon start to heat up, as Medusa causes some trouble for the Goddess Girls. They have to put their heads together to solve the problem, and their attempts often have hilarious consequences. The story has some good moral messages throughout, and I bet tweens will love it. It's fun and interesting, and would be a great educational aid for classes on Greek myths. I even learnt something new myself!

Publisher: Aladdin

Format: Paperback

Released: April 6th, 2010

Grade rating: B/B+

Amazon summary:


As Persephone's mother encourages her to do, she often "goes along to get along" instead of doing what she really wants. But when she meets Mount Olympus Academy bad-boy Hades, she finally feels she has found someone with whom she can be herself. He's the first person who actually "listens" to her, and she finds herself liking him, despite the fact that the other goddessgirls think he's bad news. But if he makes her feel so special -- and so comfortable -- can he really be all that bad?

Review:


Persephone the Phony is my favourite of the first two books, as I liked Persephone slightly more than Athena, and this one even had a little sprinkling of romance, with none other than bad boy Hades! Well, he's not bad really, everyone just thinks he is. Instead, he's a sweet, thoughtful guy with an interest in Persephone, and a kick-ass black stallion that he rides around on. Life's great if you're a God of the Underworld, eh?

I really like how these books incorporate Greek mythology into the everyday trials and tribulations of growing up. It's such a cool way to learn about history, and I wish there had been something like this when I had to snooze my way through boring lessons in primary school. Although each story seems quite short to me, I think they're just the right length for tweens, and would be a great pick for reluctant readers.

I'm looking forward to reading the other 2 books in the series later in the year, and then I think I'll move on to Percy Jackson. These Greek types are cool!

Source: theartofastralprojection.blogspot.com