Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Blog You Should Be Reading

A Blog You Should Be Reading
Are you reading Bedlam or Parnassus daily yet? You should be. Trust me on this one.Or, wait, don't take my word for it. Here's a bit from one of today's two posts, titled Two Dads and a Kidney:I suppose it would take a non-American news source to report that newly appointed regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein, has "defended the possibility of removing organs from terminally patients without their permission" and "also has strongly pushed for the removal of organs from deceased individuals who did not explicitly consent to becoming organ donors." As this article, whose by-line is from Tel Aviv reorts, Sunstein claimed in a 2008 book that "the state owns the rights to body parts of people who are dead or in certain hopeless conditions, and it can remove their organs without asking anyone's permission."I wonder what hopeless conditions those are? Could that phrase take in the homeless person? What about the person who sees no hope that our current leaders will be able to lead us anywhere but to destruction?Of course, if I were gay, I could ponder such a question within the Presidentially named "admirable" relationship of sodomy.(...)And then there's this, from the post Integrity or Schizophrenia:So which is operative, integrity or schizophrenia, when the latest in an unending line of public figures says something like this? "My religion is very personal.... Religion does not play a part when I make a decision on behalf of the people of Chicago. It is a decision I have to make as a mayor, not as a Catholic.... That is separate for me." That is Mayor Richard Daly of Chicago, by the way, quoted in this article on his signing into law a perimeter around abortuaries past which pro-life advocates cannot pass.Sorry, Mr. Daly. It just does not work that way. Christian faith is not something that can be put on a shelf and taken out for display now and then. If a leader is a Christian, then Christianity will guide that leader's decisions. There is no such thing as separate or private when it comes to faith. If one is a Christian, he or she had a new identity in Christ. Like "integrity," the word "identity" has a Latin root. It is "idem", a demonstrative pronoun that means "the same." If I have a Christian identity, then my identity is the same whether I am by myself or making decisions on behalf of the people of Chicago.Magister Christianus, the blog's author, is consistently interesting and thought-provoking. If this is a blog that has so far escaped your notice, do, by all means, go and read!