Monday, June 30, 2008

Meditation Gaining Absorption Jhana

Meditation Gaining Absorption Jhana
Gary Sanders (DHARMA PUNX), reduced by Seth Auberon, CC Liu, Mind Quarterly

"

Whichever game sign or NIMITTA "is unusual former to "jhana" (lemeach/tumblr.com)

"

(simpsoncrazy.com)

I influence purposely not done a lot of reading on the brooding absorptions (jhanas"). My site has been, "The Buddha mastered them and found they weren't the 'be all, end all,' so why bother?" This" was" what I scheme until a move away I sat this summer.

A big wits for going on a move away in Northern California at Motivation Shake led by Theravada Buddhist nuns was

* to shout from the rooftops for myself
* to development self-supporting of my cream piece
* to go on move away with teachers I wasn't prior to friends with
* to be confined by species I'm not realistically united to
* to delay a place I haven't been or else.

The week-long move away started off ideal. The leading two days were a let-up, decompressing from the manuscript grind of individual a built-up working father of two, a wife, an Reluctant THE Pour Buddhist Mediation Discernment rebirth group pacesetter, a Santa Clarita [Saint Clare/Sainted Clarity] Circumstances MINDFULNESS Ponderings Become spur, and music lover.

Motivation Shake is eye-catching, very heavenly with rising and falling landscapes, and I felt ideal to be stage. Afterward came the taunt. I'd never tough taunt this bad on move away. It started with my stage leading me to escape to a manage for a bit. Afterward it got inferior. My shame back was sharp in taunt, and more of my meeting had to be done in a manage. I even graduated to standing since taunt and sleepiness got great. That was all privilege "taunt," which might not residue to the "nightmare" to come:

"

"Because, me worry?"

Skepticism and assault started creeping in. I began imagining, "These nuns are sadistic! How can we do understood hour-long sits Not up to scratch guidance!? If I can't consider this, all these old species must really be hurting! I can't even do metta "(loving-kindness meditation) anymore; I'll never be trustworthy to do it again!"

We had verve interviews on the instant to dying day. I talked a quick about what was arising. Afterward to my good bundle, or else the dying sit of the night, I ran inwards one of the nuns self-supporting the similar piece. We talked about my practice, and I got some answers.

I described what had been dressed in for awhile in my practice, which turned out to be "arrival even." The nun told me about a wiliness -- carefully selected one blotch on the tip of the search or nostrils and privilege staying completely on that divide blotch. She told me more, but to the right from the subtleties, this was the attractive matter. Tablet with a divide blotch to the repudiation of everything to boot.

I went inwards the dying 60 analytical sit of the night, sack to the support in Burmese coordinate, focusing privilege on a matter deep one nostril. I stayed stage be attracted to a cat at a mouse hole.

Self-starter


"

"Heyyy, it's all good!"

Since want, ALL of the hindrances fashion sideways. Amongst ordinary handiwork, I stayed on that blotch the whole sit. I sat be attracted to a Shake. No taunt, no strain, and to my trepidation, I felt an great JOY (PITI") washed swallow me. [Probably my in exchange taunt had been a clearance or an notice hindering me and inspiring me to talk up be attracted to my very own jerk with "Mara"?]

The fright rang an hour subsequent as the group called it a night. I was always glowing. The rest of the night, I felt pleased, sparkling, full of joy. It was spilling out of me. My creative intent for going on move away came to good sense. I was flooded with total brainchild for both nuns leading. I slept be attracted to a precious.

The next first light was our leading and deserted sit of the day. I went right to the divide matter of instruct once more. BUT this time it didn't assert much handiwork at all. Amongst not anything hindrances, I sat be attracted to a crystal, overexcited, sopping wet with joy. Excitement FLEW by.

Cut to today. I've read up on the brooding absorptions, the "jhanas", a bit. I influence been practicing the divide matter of instruct a lot, but not necessarily as a manuscript practice. And I influence not been reaching the joy and elation I tough on move away.

Immediately, I read [AYYA KHEMA's scholar] LEIGH BRASINGTON's instructions on reaching the leading "jhana". I followed his instructions thoroughly. I started with loving-kindness for for myself then went to the divide matter of even.

JOY


"

"Who me, concerned"? Ha!"

In the manner of the refer to started to become not much definite [to the same extent the real plan of meditation is not averse vivacious but this very restrained refer to, the thankful refer to, which one might speculate may be "prana"], I stayed with that then switched to the sunny connotation of the semi-smile I'd been holding most of the sit. [Wherever discontent goes, energy flows.] As that sunny connotation built up more and more, I felt my smile take off amplified than my key. It was uplifting on its own. I didn't essence it. I wasn't tedious to smile. The sunny fit get the impression -- which was more flattering than the sensual zest I'd been chasing all my life -- seemed to be swirling, gentle, in doings. It was sack in my whole key, then my whole conditional then, implausibly, it privilege cool expanding self-supporting of my conditional, my temperament...

Not jump how want it was, but I stayed with it until it seemed to privilege destabilize a quick. In the manner of I felt grounded in my own conditional, I got off the support. It was moderately postponed at night, and I felt very glowing and contents. Once more I got to down be attracted to a precious. [Maybe this is what Zen direct by beginner's good sense, throttling back the refer to to the softest drone, a syrupy infantile inexperience and calm.]

THE FIVE HINDRANCESWisdom Quarterly edit of Wikipedia flap HINDRANCES

"

(QUEST4PCE/flickr)

Five judgmental mental states thwart achieve with Ponderings (JHaNA and BHaVANa) and lead sideways from Elucidation and Paradise. These states are:

* SENSUAL desire: aspiration for agreeable stimulation of the purpose
* Anger or ill-will: belief of sin, annoyance, detestation
* Sluggishness-sleepiness (SLOTH-TORPOR): lack of physical or mental energy
* RESTLESSNESS-WORRY: the helplessness to motionlessness the good sense
* Skeptical "DOUBT: lack of trust, hope, care

* THE Puncture OF THE Insinuation Sight (Rush Sea)
* PHOTOS: Drive TO BUDDHIST PAGAN, BURMA (MEG WILLIAMS)
* NEW YEAR'S Intend Establish Ceremony, HOLLYWOOD